"Life is too short, and I'm Italian. I'd much rather eat pasta and drink wine than be a size 0." - Sophia Bush
I love basil pesto, such a quick and easy thing to make that can be eaten in so many way. Not only it's good with pasta, it tasted as good on toast/bread, sandwich, salad or even just as a dip.
This tomato pesto linguine is another simple yet delicious recipe. It takes less than 30 minutes to cook.
I made the basil pesto using the left over basil leaves from yesterday and I adapted this pesto recipe from Jamie Oliver's cookbook.
- 1 garlic cloves (the original recipe is only 1/4 clove but because I like garlic, I put more)
- Half bunch of basil leaves
- A handful of lighty roasted pine nuts
- Olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- Small squeeze of lemon juice
- A handful of Parmesan cheese
1. Place the garlic, basil leaves and pine nuts into food processor or blender. Process until the ingredients are blended well.
2. Add in the olive oil and mix well, add enough to bind the mixture into the right consistency, then add in the parmesan cheese.
3.Taste the mixture, add salt and pepper accordingly, squeeze in abit of lemon and taste again. You can add any of the ingredients more until you get the right taste.
Again, please note that the measurement of this pasta is an estimation only. You can always add a bit of this and that until you get the right taste. Just make sure you put small amount first and add more.
Tomato Pesto Linguine
- 1 packet Linguine (or pasta of your choice)
- Basil pesto
- 4 chicken tight fillets (cut into dice size)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 button mushrooms (I used the big ones when I prepare this, you can put as much or as little as you like)
- 1 fresh tomato
- Spaghetti sauce
- White wine ( I add approximate 7 tablespoon, you can put less or more, you may even opt out)
- A handful of parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper
1) Marinate the chicken with basil pesto, a pinch of salt and black pepper. set a side.
Make sure you don't use all the basil pesto, as this it to mix with the pasta.
2) Chop the garlic. Set a side.
3) Slice the mushrooms. Set a side.
4) Deseed the tomato and cut into dice size. Set a side.
5) In a large pot with salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente.
6) Heat a large saucepan, add in the olive oil, add in garlic, add in the chicken, stir for 5 minutes, add in the mushrooms, stir until mushroom turn softer and darker, add in the tomato, add in white wine, add in the spaghetti sauce (you can add more if you prefer more sauce on your pasta). Add salt and pepper accordingly. Give it a quick stir.
7) Placed the cooked linguine (pasta) on to a serving plate/bowl. Spoon the sauce over the pasta, add the basil pesto on top of it, sprinkle with Parmesan.
8) Mix well and ready to eat!