"Love and eggs are best when they are fresh." (Russian proverb)
Today is my healthy cooking day. After finished cooking the steamed fish, I prepare this egg and bitter gourd recipe. I got this recipe from my sister, who has extreme passion in cooking.
Bitter gourd (also known as bitter melon) is well known for its nutritional benefits to the body; it improves blood disorder, diabetes, eye problems and many other benefits. Of course excessive intake is not good too, moderation is always the key.
My recipe is enough to feed 3 people.
Egg and Bitter Gourd
- 3 bitter gourd (halved and remove seed)
- 4 eggs (the original recipe put lots of eggs, probably around 7, but for health reason I put less and is recommended to use free range eggs for healthier option)
- Cooking oil
The amount of ingredients for the sauce depends on how much sauce you like for your bitter gourd, I suggest prepare more, you can always throw away any excess when you think is enough. As you can see from the photo, I prepared 3/4 of a bowl.
-Cooking wine ( I used Shao Xing wine)
-Spring onions (optional)
1) Soak the bitter gourd into salt water (bitterness can be reduced this way, some says boiling it in salt water works better, so is up to you which way you prefer).
2) Prepare the sauce, dissolve the rock sugar in hot water, once sugar dissolved, add in soya sauce, sesame oil and cooking wine until you get your desired taste. You should be able to taste a slight sweetness in the sauce mixture. Add in spring onions.
(I add around 2 tablespoon of cooking wine, you can add more or less according to your preference).
3) Throw away the salt water and wash the bitter gourds under running water. Slice them thinly.
4) Heat up the wok, add in cooking oil, add in bitter gourd, stir for 5 minutes, add in half of the sauce, stir until bitter gourd is slightly softer, but make sure before it turns dark, add in the eggs, don't stir it, just leave it and cover the wok, open the cover and check the egg, make sure it is not overly cooked.
5) Once you get your preferred egg texture, turn off the fire, scoop to serving plate/bowl, pour in the remaining sauce (as much as you like it to be).
6) Served warm with steamed rice.