When asked by a social-climbing Paris hostess how he liked his truffles, Curnonsky replied, "In great quantity, madame. In great quantity."Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland) French writer (1872-1956)
Truffle...world's most famous and most romanticised mushroom. It is the Louis Vuitton of mushrooms, where everyone just wants a piece of it. Add a small amount in a simple dish will certainly gives an incomparable taste. The intoxicating aroma of mushroom is its signature.
This dish is inspired by the truffle egg fettuccine that I had in Buon Ricordo few weeks ago, althought this is nothing close to what I had there, but good enough for a homemade meal.
What makes this dish a champion is the Tetsuya's Black Truffle Salsa for butter (80g $26.95) and the Simon Johnson's black truffle oil (250ml $29.95) that I bought from David Jones. The Tetsuya's salsa has a very strong pungent and woody scent of the black truffle. The truffle oil is fairly strong too. Combined together, anyone can create the most pungent truflly dish one can imagine.
The Truffle Egg
To make my homemade truffle egg, I mixed a small amount (approx. 1/2 teaspoon) of the truffle salsa with the egg (3-4 eggs). Leave it for a while (approximately 15 minutes) so the egg will be infused with the scent of the truffle. Then add in approximately 1/4 cup of cream. Mix well.
Creamy Fettuccine with Truffle Egg
- Sliced mushrooms
- Fettuccine (or pasta of your choice)
- A Handful of chopped onions
- 2 Chicken thigh fillets (cut to desired size)
- 1/2 cup Full or light thickened cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish.
- Parmesan Cheese
- The truffle egg mixture
1) Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until al dente. Drain pasta.
2) Heat 2 teaspoons of truffle oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add in the chicken, cook until golden. Remove to plate.
3) Add in onion and mushrooms to pan, stir occasionally until mushroom soften. Add in the cream. Add in the chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Give it a quick stir.
4) Place the fettuccine on a serving plate. Add the chicken and mushroom mixture to pasta.
5) Quickly heat up pan with oil and add in the egg mixture. Give it a quick stir and dish up. Egg should still be runny. I actually overcooked my egg.
6) Add the runny scrambled egg on the pasta, add some parmesan cheese and pepper as desired. Garnish with chopped chives.
7) Toss pasta and enjoy your homemade truffle egg fettuccine!
On the side: Combine The Tetsuya's Black Truffle Salsa with butter for a flavourful and aromatic spread, serve with warm bread and....It's heaven on top of your bread.