Gourmets rank Thai cuisine among the best in the world, for its subtle curries, imaginative use of herbs and spices, textural contrast, and above all harmony in taste. The Thai food is a blend of Asian and European influences adopted through centuries of trade and diplomatic exchanges. (Hrayr Berberoglu)
Larb Gai is a popular classic Thai salad. It's fragrant, slightly spicy with an interesting mix of flavours. Low in fat and low in carb. The core flavour elements are the lime juice and fish sauce. This delicious warm salad can be eaten on its own or with steamed rice.
This recipe is actually an easier version of Larb Gai. I excluded the roasted rice powder which is commonly added in the salad. Please increase or decrease any of the ingredients according to taste.
- 400 Gram minced chicken (breast preferred)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 chopped cucumber
- Handful of chopped chillies
- Handful of chopped Kaffir lime leaves
- Handful of Mint leaves
- Fish Sauce
- Sugar ( I used brown sugar)
- Fresh lime juice
- Fried onion (optional)
1) In a big bowl, add in the tomato, red onion, cucumber, garlic, 1/2 portion of kaffir lime leaves, mint leaves, chillies and fried onion.
2) Heat non-stick pan, add cooking oil, add in chicken, stir for 2 minutes, add in the other half of the kaffir lime leaves. Add in 1 teaspoon of fish sauce. Stir chicken until cooked. Remove from heat.
3) Add in chicken into the bowl and mix well.
4) Add in sugar, fish sauce and lime juice until you get your desired taste.
Note: Chopped lemongrass and chopped coriander can be added to the salad too.