"Happy and successful cooking doesn't rely only on know-how; it comes from the heart, makes great demands on the palate and needs enthusiasm and a deep love of food to bring it to life." (Georges Blanc, Ma Cuisine des Saisons)
I printed this recipe online a while ago. This is a delicious and easy to follow recipe. This can be the perfect grilled chicken for your BBQ next time. The original recipe required the chicken to be grilled for 45 mins, but because I want to cook fast, I actually pan fried the chicken first, then I put in the oven to grill for 10-15 minutes. I think by pan frying the chicken first, it actually makes the chicken less dry, so it's up to you how you like your chicken to be and you can always try both ways to see which one you prefer.
Grilled Orange Chicken
- 5 chicken drumsticks ( I chopped into half, you can keep the drumstick as a whole too)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks of spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 8 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest
- chopped chillies (desired amount)
- 1 tbsp sugar ( I used brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce (sweet soya sauce)
- 1 tsp chinese wine ( I used Shao Xing)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp peanut oil
Note: You can always increase or decrease the ingredients and sauces according to taste when you pan fry the chicken. Make sure you don't add too much ginger, as too much ginger will overpowered the flavour of the orange.
1) In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients and sauces. Mix well. Add the chicken and mix well. Ideally, the chicken is to be marinated in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours, but I didn't have that much time, I actually left it for half and hour only. And turning the chicken pieces occasionally if you can.
2) Heat up the pan with cooking oil, add in the chicken, keep stirring until the chicken is cooked.
3) While cooking, preheat the oven at 200 Celcius. Once, chicken is cooked, place the chicken on a baking tray or roasting and spead some of the marination sauce on the chicken and roast. You can add more marination sauce over chicken after 5-10 minutes. Grill for another 5 minutes until chicken turn brown.
And to complement this tasty chicken, is a plain and simple white radish soup. White radish is a quite versatile vegetable that can be cooked in many ways, such as the turnip cake and stir fried. It is known to benefit the digestive system, for diabetics, to stimulate appetite, to clear runny nose and to ease sore joints. However, it's believe to have no benefits for patients under medical treatment as it prevents the absorption of the medical values. Give this soup a try, it's so easy!
White Radish Soup
- 1 white radish (cut into large chunk)
- Pork ribs/Pork bones/ Chicken drumsticks/Chicken bones
- A Handful of red dates
- Some dried scallops (optional)
1) Bring to boil water in pot. Add Pork/Chicken part, red dates and dried scallops, cook until you get your desired soup broth.
2)Add in white radish, cook until white radish soften, add salt if desired.
3)Turn off the heat and enjoy your soup.