Easy Beef Teriyaki Don For Dinner
One of my favourite Japanese dishes whenever I go to Japanese restaurant is of course the very popular Japanese Teriyaki meal.
Whether you want to make the sauce from scratch or buy a bottle of teriyaki sauce from the Asian grocery, this dish can be easily made at home. Of course, lazy me... I chose the short cut by using the pre made teriyaki sauce. It's really quick to prepare this dish and it is very tasty too.
Also, this recipe is called Beef Teriyaki Don because 'Don' comes from the word 'Donburi'. Donburi is a Japanese rice bowl Dish. It's where a dish is served on top of a bowl of steamed rice in an oversized bowl.
I bought the pre-sliced beef from Asian grocery or you can also slice the beef yourself. All you need to do is put your beef in the freeze until it's half frozen and slice the beef thinly. Half frozen the beef enables you to easily slice the beef thin enough without much struggle.
I don't provide an exact measurement for the sauce, so please add the sauce according to taste.
Beef Teriyaki Don
- Sliced beef
- 1 onion (sliced)
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sesame oil
- A handful of spring onions to garnish
1) Heat up the wok, add sesame oil. When oil is hot, add in the beef, stir the beef quicky then add in the onion.
2) Add in teriyaki sauce and sugar until you get your desire taste, then add in a dash of mirin.
3) When beef is ready to be served, garnish with spring onion.
4) Served the beef on top of a bowl of steamed rice, make sure you pour over the extra sauce too.
- If you don't have mirin, you can exclude it as Mirin is usually included in teriyaki sauce. I added some mirin because I like add more cooking wine in my cooking for an extra intensity to the flavour of the dish.
- If you have time you can marinade the beef with teriyaki sauce for at least 1/2 to 1 hour in the fridge before cooking.